Thursday, July 4, 2013

Teachers: glory days and happiness

I've been teaching for quite sometime now (age aside- imagine after graduating college.. Its the first job I did) and I realized that it is true the way you influence your students in more ways than you can ever imagine...

I feel happy seeing students of mine do what they love to do... But somehow I guess I feel flattered also seeing my students do what I love to do... Yes you heard me right... some of my students perhaps, directly or indirectly, I sort of molded them to become who they are now....

How you might ask? Let me fill you in with details

Back in 2006, upon graduating from college, I decided to look for a job.... I never really knew what I wanted then so I just went applying into companies that may take a shot from a newbie like me... This school responded... It was abrupt actually... I was called for an interview.. Then a demo the next day which I remember vividly that it was a friday... Because come monday I was already hired....

Since I am an art history major... Naturally that would be the subject I will be teaching... They lacked one teacher for a certain year level... I asked my supervisor what the topics might be tackled for that subject... I knew i wanted to handle that said year level upon hearing that one of the topics was sewing... And with my supervisors blessing she took a leap of faith for me on this... Which i thank her for, so much.... 

Like any company, the institution also followed the casual fridays--- only they tweaked it a little bit and made it business outfit fridays (meaning.. An escape for wearing those dreadful uniforms)... 

Having so much liking with shopping and a knack for mixing stuff in my closet... I took advantage of this "business outfit fridays" and decided to give it a little flair... Everyone... Students and admin alike are on my case... I even got in trouble in our faculty meeting once for wearing to bright (ahem! Its just orange) colors...

I love clothes and i wasn't afraid to show it... Even if i got reprimanded by my bosses... I didn't care.. Because it makes me feel good about myself... And I (used to) have a good body to show them with... Don't get me wrong... I never wore anything revealing... I was still decent... I guess some people would just like to see you be more boring... And i'm not like that... 

Also.. Part of what i teach is a touch about fashion... Shouldn't I exemplify my teachings with the way I dress... 

I'm so going off track here now.... I'll go back to my students...so given the fact that i was very fashionable in class... I'd like to take credit for producing students who opened their eyes for the art that is Fashion... A lot of them pursued this career.. Which is also now my career... 

And though sometimes I feel bad because out of 3000+ students that I have handled... you thought that they would all remember you... But after they graduated... 80% of those 3000+ will just pass by you.. As if you never met in your lifetime (which is funny...because back when they were my students...they can't stop hanging out with you even if it consumed your lunch breaks)

One day a student of mine texted me and asked for fashion tips and advises about the fashion business (i don't claim to be an expert.. But I guess she was asking me because ever since I resigned my teaching post, I have been doing the fashion business). 

She is the only person perhaps that recognizes or even remembers that I influenced them.. It feels great that this one person is thriving in her fashion business.. I even tear up when she said and i quote "you are my inspiration, ms., you were the reason why I got into this"

I think As teachers... It is our duty to be a model for our students... To be supportive to our students when nobody else would support or encourage them... 

I wish I had a teacher like me back in the day.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment